Author Topic: Tired Of Punching Paper?  (Read 2286 times)

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
Tired Of Punching Paper?
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
So.... what do you guys shoot when your'e tired of punching paper?

i have been known to go cactus, aerosol cans, beer/soda can, computers, reactive targets that bounce allover the place chainging point of aim are fun and useful practice, shot up an old toilet with a .45 once which was awesome.

one of my favorites even though its more of a shotgun thing:

if you are wanting to practice for birds, and empty soda can on top of a a piece of cardboard, ontop of a #10 can full of water, have your bird gun and your slug gun handy, hit the #10 can with the slug (closeish range works best)that will crush the can, force the water up, and blast the empty soda can high into the air. This gives you time to set down your slug launcher and grab your scatter gun to kill the DrPepper can on the wing.

would like to try some tannerite sometime but haven't had the pleasure yet...

how about you guys?

YoungGun

• Hillsboro
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Regular Members
  • On Target +13/-0
Re: Tired Of Punching Paper?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:29:13 AM »
My favorite is still that same as when I was a kid. Dr Pepper cans filled with water.

I've had a lot of fun with a golf ball and a .22 also.

Double Naught Spy

• Forestburg, Texas
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
I have steel targets and keep them painted with cheapo $1 a can Wal-mart spray paint (may be $1.20 now).  When the paint runs out or when some become clogged up, they are still pressurized and make for a neat reactive target. Once in a while for a new shooter, we will let them shoot full cans.  These are usually kids that it may take anywhere from 2-10 shots to hit a can at 100 yards, but when they do, it can be exciting.

For my daughters, we sometimes have tennis ball races with .22s.  The idea is to see who get can their tennis ball the full 80 yards (starting 20 away) to the targets down the shooting lane.

Sometimes cattle invade my property and poop everywhere. The kids enjoy 'exploding' the poop by shooting it from a safe distance.  It has to be be fairly fresh. 
Member #36

My hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
Golf balls. Hit one just right and it makes Tiger Woods envious. Ever heard the song "Fly me to the moon"? The guy musta shot golf balls with a 45. With a 22 pistol we shoot 22 ammo boxes from the hip at 15-20 yards too. Makes for a lot better point and shoot like in a confrontation scenario where the brain really doesn't work until the smoke clears.

Dcav

• Cleburne
  • Administrator
  • On Target +35/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Crackers and .22's...
TSRA Life member

LJH

• Austin Tx
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +18/-1
    • Infosmash
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
You should try bricks, cinder blocks, cans, pretty much whatever.  When using a high powered rifle exploding bricks into a cloud of brick red dust is very satisfying. 
The GP is wicked strong

jrbfishn

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Necco candies. Or large candy hearts. No clean up, bad shots at least have a tasty snack left over. Nice colorful puff when you hit them

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
i've been trying t find a smooth bore .22 for shot shells, so i could have mini skeet shooting with saltine crackers. no luck yet...

LJH

• Austin Tx
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +18/-1
    • Infosmash
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
i've been trying t find a smooth bore .22 for shot shells, so i could have mini skeet shooting with saltine crackers. no luck yet...
Well your in luck.  I have an old 10/22 barrel that has seen over 75000 rounds.  Its not quite a smooth bore, but almost.
The GP is wicked strong

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »
ideally it would be a pum for that shotgun feel, i dont know how well federal's crimped .22 shotshells would eject, fairly certain it wont cycle... maybe i could get it to cycle the CCI mini shotshells, but isn't the rifling supposed to break the plastic shot capsule? maybe it would be enough though... 

i wonder how hard it would be to lap off whats left of the rifling and open up the chamber a bit since the crimped shells are extra long, and build a bolt action around it? building a dedicated .22 caliber shotgun is a project i have been mulling over and kicking around for almost 10 years now... one of these days i'm gonna give it a shot.

YoungGun

• Hillsboro
  • Regular Members
  • On Target +13/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
The rifling causes the shot to form a donut pattern. That's the main problem with using shotshells in rifles barrels.

YoungGun

• Hillsboro
  • Regular Members
  • On Target +13/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »

You should try bricks, cinder blocks, cans, pretty much whatever.  When using a high powered rifle exploding bricks into a cloud of brick red dust is very satisfying.

I agree. This was one of my favorite targets while it lasted.

[video]http://youtu.be/kQjSJqZw8JI[/video]

YoungGun

• Hillsboro
  • Regular Members
  • On Target +13/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
Hmm, looks like I need to work in my imbedding skills.

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »
I did this at one time....try bowling balls with a 30/338 mag loaded a little passed max with 125gr TNTs. The target was the thumb hole. I'll bet there's still plastic falling outa the sky in Atascosa County. Pretty explosive! I guess like most shooters there isn't much I haven't shot. Paint cans, water bottles, water melon, bottle caps,  and another interesting one is a stick of caulk at 100 yards. You don't have to guess if you hit it or not. Shotgun shells at 25 yds with pistols, etc.