Author Topic: What should I get?  (Read 2554 times)

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
What should I get?
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Been shooting rifles since I was a kid and pistols for a couple of years now but never shotguns. Recently one of my sons invited me on a teal and dove hunt and it looks like I'm going to need to get a shotgun.  If I knew I was going to love it, it wouldn't be an issue.  But since I just don't know, I'm a bit hesitant to spend a lot of money just to try it out.  I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to look for and where.  Like I mentioned, I don't want to spend a lot of money but I also don't want to cheap out and get a POS.  The kicker is, the hunt is in two weeks. Suggestions welcome.

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
Re: What should I get?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
there is a super sweet bird gun in our classifieds section, ammo might be a little more expensive as it's a 16 ga.

some prefer semi autos, i personally like break action for birding, or pump as it keeps my trigger finger from getting itchy.

remington 870 with a proper barrel works like a charm, and wont break the bank.

i've heard good things about yildiz shotguns, good looks, and balance and unless you get their premium models most are under 5 or 6 hundred bucks for new.

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  My son has a 12 ga semi-auto.  I've been pondering a 12 also, but a pump.  However, I still have a lot to learn.

LJH

• Austin Tx
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +18/-1
    • Infosmash
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
Shotgunning is more a matter of style than any other form of shooting *this is only my opinion*.  Since you mentioned duck, I am going to say 12 gauge period.  Sure 20 will work, but 12 works better and at longer ranges for the waterfowl.

If you just want to try it out, anything from a Wal-Mart that is not tacky-cool should do.  As a rule of thumb the longer the barrel the easier it is to swing accurately, the shorter the barrel the faster you can get it up and into your shoulder.  Teal hunting would benefit from the longer barrel, dove...  well that's a toss up, dove are weird and fly weird as proof to their weirdness. 

As to my personal recommendations, look for a used Browning Auto5 or A5 a.k.a the humpback.  They point really well and don't beat you to a pulp as well as they can be found dirt cheap if you find one that needs work or doesn't cycle.  These things are built like a tank and the not working or cycling issue is almost always the "friction kit".  This is a brass ring and sleeve that is designed to be replaced.  Funny thing is no one ever replaces them so they quit working after 30 or 40 years.  Parts to repair run about 20 buck from midway, or $10 when they show up on ebay.
The GP is wicked strong

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »
Great info.  Thanks.

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
Picked up a Mossberg Maverick 88 at Academy.  Looks to be a fine shotgun for the price.

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
Well I sure hope you like that Mossberg. It's a synthetic version of the famed 500 series. They're known for being a lot tougher than most shooters. I have an early 500 and it's been in salt water, under mud by several feet, dropped out of the back of a moving truck by a friend, and had so many cases of ammo thru it a truck wouldn't even begin to carry it. A lot of it was 3" #4 magnums for ducks. When it got a mud bath, we were "taking a short cut" across what looked like a grassy plain at the coast, Kenyan Island to be exact which has the Guadalupe River on one side and the North River on 2 sides and San Antonio Bay on the other side. Well it wasn't a grassy plain and it turned into a battle of keeping our boots on as the mud sucked them off of yer feet. I fell and tried to catch myself and of course used the hand that the shotgun was in. It went outa sight. Needless to say it came up a ball of mud. I thought about leaving it as I knew it was destroyed. We got back to the house where I cleaned it in the front yard with the garden hose. A liberal bath in WD-40 and figured it could wait until I got back to San Antonio. That was 30 years ago and a ton of ammo since. I have all kinds of scatterguns, Brownings, Valmet, Winchesters, Rugers, Remingtons. But when I'm going to go hunting, the Mossberg gets in the truck. Hope yours makes you as happy as I've been with mine. I don't think there's a better or tougher shotgun made.

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
Wow!  I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement. Thanks.

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
The hunt was last weekend.  The dove portion was cancelled for lack of birds but the teal hunt was on.  Didn't have much of an idea about what to expect but didn't let that stop me.  Our guide deposited us into feed troughs with plywood seats dug into the mud at the side of a rice paddy.  Many had a foot of water in the bottom, I got lucky, mine floated.  Most of the water was on the outside.  We started at sunup and did OK, not great but better than the other groups.  We got 10 birds total with 6 guys shooting.  (I THINK one of them was mine.)  Funny thing, we saw more doves than teal.  We finished up about 9:30 and one of the shooters volunteered his birds to the rest of us so we each got to bring home two.  Just enough for a taste.  One of my sons claimed to have calculated it out. With the cost for the guide and the purchase of the gun, shells, ammo, etc. the birds came to $75 per ounce of eating.  Haven't had so much fun in a long time.

LJH

• Austin Tx
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +18/-1
    • Infosmash
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
You got off cheap at that price.  I have had hunts that cost thousands and yielded nothing, not even good memories.
The GP is wicked strong

mopar_man

• Texas
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »

Well I sure hope you like that Mossberg. It's a synthetic version of the famed 500 series. They're known for being a lot tougher than most shooters. I have an early 500 and it's been in salt water, under mud by several feet, dropped out of the back of a moving truck by a friend, and had so many cases of ammo thru it a truck wouldn't even begin to carry it. A lot of it was 3" #4 magnums for ducks. When it got a mud bath, we were "taking a short cut" across what looked like a grassy plain at the coast, Kenyan Island to be exact which has the Guadalupe River on one side and the North River on 2 sides and San Antonio Bay on the other side. Well it wasn't a grassy plain and it turned into a battle of keeping our boots on as the mud sucked them off of yer feet. I fell and tried to catch myself and of course used the hand that the shotgun was in. It went outa sight. Needless to say it came up a ball of mud. I thought about leaving it as I knew it was destroyed. We got back to the house where I cleaned it in the front yard with the garden hose. A liberal bath in WD-40 and figured it could wait until I got back to San Antonio. That was 30 years ago and a ton of ammo since. I have all kinds of scatterguns, Brownings, Valmet, Winchesters, Rugers, Remingtons. But when I'm going to go hunting, the Mossberg gets in the truck. Hope yours makes you as happy as I've been with mine. I don't think there's a better or tougher shotgun made.

What's the difference between 500 and 590

Hope and change.. If you buy that I'll throw a bridge in free.

ROSW

• New Braunfels, Texas
  • On Target +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
Thinking about taking the Maverick 88 out to Dietz tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon and TRY to shoot some clays.  Picked up a box this week figuring it would be a good way to practice.  However, having never shot clays and having only shot the shotgun on two occasions, if anyone wants to pass on some pointers or even come on out, the company would be welcome.

Another questions; I know Dietz has a station for shotguns but do not know if there is an additional charge for using the machine (over the range fee or annual membership).  If anyone knows, please enlighten me.

jrbfishn

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

What's the difference between 500 and 590

Hope and change.. If you buy that I'll throw a bridge in free.
As farr as I can tell, and I may be wrong, one is blued and the other is parkerized. Other than sights and furniture. Most 500s are 3 in, 535 is 3 1/2 in..

from an idgit coffeeholic