Author Topic: Transporation of guns, powder, ammo.  (Read 1105 times)

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
Transporation of guns, powder, ammo.
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
I have a friend that is a now retired Gov't trapper. He's also afflicted with the same disease TexasRedneck has- he collects way passed anything reasonable in quantities that makes most folks think he's nuts. I'm wanting to help him move his guns from down by the border up to his house around Jourdanton. I'm going to have to go thru an active Border Patrol check station. We are talking about transporting 25+ long guns, several shotguns, and 25+ pistols. Then there is powder and primers. He also reloaded his ammo. And then there is the ammo.....probably several hundred thousand rounds. That's pistol, rifle, and a lot of shotgun ammo. I know I can't bring all back in one trip but would like to bring what I can LEGALLY in my F150 Supercrew. So here's the questions:
How many weapons can I legally carry/transport and knowingly will be checked by the BP? Some of these are probably old Winchester rifles like 94's,92's,86's.
How much ammo can I carry with those weapons?
How many pounds of powder can I carry (8 I think) and do I have to have any special vessel or container to carry it?

My thoughts are to take as many carry cases as he and I have. We can stack loose rifles in a moving van blanket at the front of the bed of my truck. I have a tonneau cover on my 5 1/2 foot bed, an ARE LS II if you know what that is. I was thinking of loading reloading goods and then ammo from the middle of the bed to the back or when the truck started to show the weight. Gun cased rifles were going in the rear of the cab. Obviously, all will have to be unloaded. He doesn't believe in an unloaded weapon. So, what can I legally carry in my truck. He has a letter from a sheriff, Atascosa County I believe, that explains his possessing and transporting guns but we're also going to be in MY truck, not his. He has a Tacoma and he also has had part of his back removed and steel rods put in. He can't go far in his stiff legged mule and survive the pain. So there's the story, what's legal in this case?

texasjack

• SE Texas
  • On Target +2/-1
Re: Transporation of guns, powder, ammo.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »
I've never heard of a law restricting the number of guns you can legally transport.  It is a very good idea to have some paperwork with you if you're moving a bunch of them.  Otherwise you could get questioned and it might take quite a while to prove they're yours.  (Yes, that's "guilty until proven innocent", but that sort of thing does happen these days.)

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
BP has no authority over your transport of personal firearms or ammo.  Just don't be a jerk to 'em - odds are, they won't even ask anything other than "are you a US citizen"?  I've personally transported 25 long guns and 50 handguns plus a LOT of ammo in one vehicle - they didn't even ask. 

Having said that - I also have Texas Law Shield coverage - so if they DID say so much as "boo", they're gonna get a faceful of the card advising them that I have NOTHING to say until such a time as my attorney is present.....but I REALLY doubt that will be of issue.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Charlie

• Kerr County
  • On Target +14/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »
Why do they all have to be unloaded? Or loaded? Unless I'm mistaken, there is no law against carrying an loaded weapon in a vehicle. It may not be the smartest thing to do depending on what you're trying accomplish, but I'm not aware of any laws regarding loaded weapons in a vehicle.
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good.

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
State law is silent in respect to the transport of guns loaded/unloaded.  Unless you're acting in a way to REALLY draw their interest, I doubt they'll even notice.  I'd say that as long as you don't go wavin' a gun under their noses, you're gonna be GTG. O:tu
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association