Author Topic: passing away  (Read 1673 times)

orbie

• San Antonio, TX
  • On Target +4/-0
  • Born Texan
passing away
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
A friend of mine passed away in his sleep and he had quite a collection of firearms, such as an AR that was suppressed and SBR. He was young and I would bet that he never prepared a will for his firearms. What does his family do with the rifle? He has a 16" barrel for it as well but I'm not sure they even have a clue as to what was in his collection. I didn't have the heart to bring it up at the funeral but I really doubt they know what they have their hands on. Could someone be in trouble due to the circumstances?
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function... OUR job is to arrange the meeting." - General Norman Schwarzkopf

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
Re: passing away
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
Did he have a trust or where they individual transfers?

With a trust they would move onto whoever was named as the heir, and if they were individuals they would have to be transferred to another person as an inheritance. They would have to do a Form 5 Transfer (which is tax free).

Here is a letter the ATF put out about it.
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1999/09/090599-openletter-nfa-estate-transfers.html

orbie

• San Antonio, TX
  • On Target +4/-0
  • Born Texan
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
I know he had the 2 stamps but I'm unaware if he had a trust. I didn't want to discuss any of that at the funeral and I don't have a way to contact his family.
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function... OUR job is to arrange the meeting." - General Norman Schwarzkopf

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
Drop by briefly with Sean Cody's contact info - tell them you're there to help in any way you can, and if nothing else, wanted to get at least SOME information to them that may be of use, because some of the firearms will require special handling.

About all you can do given the circumstances.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

orbie

• San Antonio, TX
  • On Target +4/-0
  • Born Texan
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »
I don't even know where to see them.

I knew him through a previous employer and we would go shooting. I never met any of his family until the day of the funeral. I talked to his mom about how I knew him and I was a shooting buddy. She and I were laughing because she had to tell the police he probably had a pistol under his pillow. I could have brought it up then but I felt it wasn't a good idea.

Your advice is really good. I just don't know how to contact them.

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »
Go to the funeral home - tell them you spoke w/the mom briefly at the services, and that you need to get some important information to her, and ask them to give her your number.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

orbie

• San Antonio, TX
  • On Target +4/-0
  • Born Texan
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
That's also a good idea. Ty!