Author Topic: Departments prepping for open carry?  (Read 1490 times)

Dcav

• Cleburne
  • Administrator
  • On Target +35/-0
Departments prepping for open carry?
« on: December 14, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Just curious what training or etc that has been put out about opening training going into effect in the coming days.
TSRA Life member

Shotgun_Jeremy

• On Target +0/-0
Re: Departments prepping for open carry?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:09:34 PM »
I know the campus police at my college are worried about all the changes. They went around posting 30.07 and 30.06 signs all over campus today.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
I know the campus police at my college are worried about all the changes. They went around posting 30.07 and 30.06 signs all over campus today.

It would behoove them to be VERY judicious as to where they post those signs if they're a public college.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

trol1374

• New Braunfels, Tx
  • Law Enforcement
  • On Target +29/-0
  • Wonder what "this" button does.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
  Yes, Departments are training and advising officers about the law do's and don't's.  Been daily briefings and such.   I know with SAPD they have been training the call takers to sort out the calls for "man with a gun" that will be sure to flood in.  They are trying to teach the call takers to spend a little more time with caller by asking questions.  Is person behaving suspiciously, or displaying the weapon, or is person just going about a normal behavior.  Ect Ect.
   Please everyone, just understand we are dealing with human nature.  There is a learning curve for LEO and civilians. 
1) You must have it in a hip holster or shoulder holster.  No sticking it in your waistband.
2) Yes the police can approach and ask if you have a license to carry.  If you don't have anything to hide, it is way more simple to show some respect for the job.  Show the officer your permit and you will be on your way.  Please don't have the tude that "it is my right" "do you have a warrant".  You are only creating more problems and making yourself look like an a$$. 
3) A violation of entering with a legal sign is a ticket.
4) Yes, even if no sign or no legal sign a business has the right to tell someone to leave the property.  If you don't and want to stand your ground.  Then you are in the wrong and can be charged with Criminal Trespass.  Which is a go to jail offense.

Let's all play nice, work with the system and I assure things will go smoother then not.  Trying to hold court to challenge what you think is wrong, while on the street or in the mist of the situation is always , always a no win situation.  There are other places and times for that when cooler heads can prevail.

Dcav

• Cleburne
  • Administrator
  • On Target +35/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:21:25 AM »
Good info Trol!
TSRA Life member

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
Trol, some of the best advice yet.  With all the "2nd Amendment or die" types out there right now trying to "prove a point", it behooves ALL of us to realize that the folks we depend on to protect us are between a rock and a hard place.  So long as everyone maintains mutual respect AND a willingness to "go that extra mile", it'll be just fine. 
I was witness to an accident yesterday, so pulled over to wait for the PD and give them my info.  One of the drivers had both a handgun and rifle in his car, and was obviously nervous about the PD's reaction.  The LEO's didn't even blink - when he told them about 'em, they said "no problem - just leave them where they are until your ride gets here (his car had to be towed).  Not even a question about what they were, or where (he volunteered the info on their location).  Everyone was polite, and it ended as it should have.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Double Naught Spy

• Forestburg, Texas
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
2) Yes the police can approach and ask if you have a license to carry.  If you don't have anything to hide, it is way more simple to show some respect for the job.  Show the officer your permit and you will be on your way.  Please don't have the tude that "it is my right" "do you have a warrant".  You are only creating more problems and making yourself look like an a$$.

The advice is good, but I have a lot more respect for the person than the job.  "Tude" and a$$edness goes both ways.  Respectful officers should get respectful responses, no doubt.  People on both sides of the badge need to watch their Ps and Qs.
Member #36

My hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange