Author Topic: New gun in the stable - Sauer 101 Classic .243. Any ammo suggestion welcome!  (Read 267 times)

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
After a year-long wait, I FINALLY got my long-awaited Sauer in my hands today - and can't wait for a range trip to sight it in!  This is the wood-stocked version - despite the taunts of E.J. over at the shop, I simply refuse to own a synthetic-stocked rifle - it just doesn't seem right.  The action on this thing is buttery-smooth, and the two pound trigger has to be experienced to believe!  Mounted a Minox scope on it, as well - it's a sweet combo!

I do, however, have a question for y'all.....what ammo are you using?  This will primarily be a deer/turkey rifle, and I'm woefully behind the curve on what's out there currently.  I want something I can use to reach out to 200 yards with.

Input welcome - thanks!!
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
afaik 200 yards is pushing it for .243 for deer, would probably do fine on turkey though.

i've heard good things about the 95 grain BST , 95 grain Hornady SST and  90 grain Swift Scirocco i read up on these recently i've got the article somewhere here

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.243+Winchester.html

Thanks - interesting read....I got it mostly for varmint, but it might well make it into the field from time to time for white tail.  It was just one of those "bucket guns" that I wanted to have....lol
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Wolfwood

• N.B. TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
always good to mark one of the list eh?

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1