Author Topic: Anyone do any shotshell loading?  (Read 1490 times)

SinisterNerd

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +15/-0
Anyone do any shotshell loading?
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
I used to but I hardly ever shoot shotguns. A couple times every dove season and that's about it.  Bird shells for a 12 GA were so cheap that there wasn't much point (not sure how they are now).  I'd buy a case every year for dove season and only use a few boxes.  So I have a bit of a stockpile.

The only thing we occasionally reload now is 16Ga.  But no one uses that gun much so we haven't even had to reload for it.  I probably haven't touched the shotgun presses in 15 years.

I guess if you shoot a lot of clays it still makes sense.

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Re: Anyone do any shotshell loading?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Same boat - at one time, reloaded shotshells (when the kids were younger and shot a lot), but any more, it's just not worth it....
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
I was shooting Country Doubles years back. Probably shot 2-3 cases a week. I have all of the gauges in the MEC Loaders down in the country. None have seen use in years though. I keep a Lee shotgun loader here at the house for saboted slugs I get from Barnes. It also requires a drill press for the curl type crimp. I have all of the gauges in the Lee set. Like most folks, I love shotgun but never go dove hunting anymore. It kinda got expensive, like most hunting in Texas.

FLASH4314

• East Houston
  • On Target +4/-0
  • Retired Teacher/Master Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Buying my electric Clay bird trap changed my need for shot shells. Shooting 200 rounds in a range trip is the norm.

I load 12 gauge and .410 on MEC 600 jr loaders. Strangely, my first reloading experiences were on a Texan reloader for 12 gauge. Had 3 or 4 MEC 600's over the years. The current 2 MEC 600jr's are the last of a long line of shot shell loaders in my life.

Started on 12 gauge and went to pistol rounds later. After that..........well you know.

Flash
You gotta die of something. It may as well be something that you like!

SinisterNerd

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +15/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
I remembered why I used to reload.  I took my daughter hunting last weekend.  She used a single shot .410 last year and she probably only fired a half dozen rounds.  This year she wanted to use a pump.  12GA was a bit much for her so she opted for an old 16Ga.  $23/box for #8's at Gander Mountain in SA.  I wouldn't have bought them but we were on our way out to hunt and the nearest Academy only had #6.

Also picked up a box of .410 for $13.

Needless to say we collected all the hulls and the old Mec press that's set up for 16Ga is going to get dusted off and put to use.