Author Topic: So - what gun did you let "get away"?  (Read 1658 times)

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
So - what gun did you let "get away"?
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Spent the day at the gun show yesterday.  Gun walking by had a Henry Yellow Boy in .45 LC.....asked him what he wanted for it, he hemmed and hawed about it, said "make me an offer".  Well, you just don't know with stuff like this, so I figured to at least draw him out and said "$500".  He said - let me think on it, and moved on.  No other real reaction.  See him a coupla more times, each time asking him if he'd come up with a price, and each time he says he's "open to offers".

Well, don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY dislike that kind of transaction, so I just held my peace.  Have been sitting here, wondering if I messed up, but it's pretty hard to deal w/someone that won't even offer up a starting point.
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
Re: So - what gun did you let "get away"?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
Years back I found an old Winchester in 401 SL at Dale Wise gunshop in SA. Felix was asking $175.00 for it. The gun came from the Texas prison system and was marked accordingly. It had been carried a lot but the mechanicals were tight and right. I asked about ammo for it as well as components. Felix pretty much said it was a wall hanger as ammo was near non-existant and zero components. Kinda like the 351 SL is today only worse. I wish I had bought the thing as ammo is available again Bullets can be made so I'd have a shooter today. Another that I should have bought but didn't even look at was an elderly lady customer that had a 38 special with a long barrel that was her husbands. I had already bought a Smith Air Weight from her but really wasn't in the market for another 38. I never did go to look at the gun. I told a friend about it and he bought it....a 6" Diamondback in the box, never fired. Paid the lady $150.00 for it. I had an Excedrin headache for a long time after that.

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Trapper, I'd bet you DID have a headache....
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
A US&S 1911 that was in amazing condition. One of the guys that used to work for me needed some cash and was going to pawn it. I loaned him $100 and held the gun as collateral. He was supposed to pick it up before E.O.D the next Friday. Well the day ended and I went home to start cleaning it up and he called me. I decided to be a nice guy and gave it back for the same $100. Not even 2 weeks later he pawned it again and lost it. I have been kicking myself ever since.

Okie556

• Longview, TX
  • On Target +0/-0
  • 198TH LIB
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
A US&S 1911 that was in amazing condition. One of the guys that used to work for me needed some cash and was going to pawn it. I loaned him $100 and held the gun as collateral. He was supposed to pick it up before E.O.D the next Friday. Well the day ended and I went home to start cleaning it up and he called me. I decided to be a nice guy and gave it back for the same $100. Not even 2 weeks later he pawned it again and lost it. I have been kicking myself ever since.

stinks that he pawned again and lost it but you did the right thing.
"Family Man First....Patriot Always"

Charlie

• Kerr County
  • On Target +14/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
Spent the day at the gun show yesterday.  Gun walking by had a Henry Yellow Boy in .45 LC.....asked him what he wanted for it, he hemmed and hawed about it, said "make me an offer".  Well, you just don't know with stuff like this, so I figured to at least draw him out and said "$500".  He said - let me think on it, and moved on.  No other real reaction.  See him a coupla more times, each time asking him if he'd come up with a price, and each time he says he's "open to offers".

Well, don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY dislike that kind of transaction, so I just held my peace.  Have been sitting here, wondering if I messed up, but it's pretty hard to deal w/someone that won't even offer up a starting point.

I agree.  I don't mind making an offer once, but after that I feel like it's their turn to make a counter offer.   If I'm asked to make a second offer, I make a point to make the second one lower than the first!   >:D
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good.