Author Topic: Knight .50 cal DISC  (Read 2480 times)

Okie556

• Longview, TX
  • On Target +0/-0
  • 198TH LIB
Knight .50 cal DISC
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »
Having family in Oklahoma with land to hunt on, and the fact that OK has a special Muzzle Loading season, I once was into hunting with black powder rifles. Started off building, from a kit, a super nice .50 cal Thompson, octagon barrel with double set triggers. Never actually used black powder but instead opted for Pyrodex Powder instead. Tried some Sabots and modern style soft nose bullet but was never as accurate as I hope so went old school with pre-greased patch and round lead ball. What a difference in accuracy that made. Back then I had younger eyes and could shoot 2" groups at 100 yds (from some type of rest, tree limb, shooting stick etc) and killed more than one deer at 150 yds plus. As technology evolved more and my eyes got worse, I went to a more modern disc rifles with a scope. I currently have a Knight .50 cal DISC rifle in Realtree Breakup Camo, Stainless Barrel with a factory installed Camo 4x scope. Gun also has fiber optic sights and shoot through scope mounts. This gun utilizes shotgun 209 primers for ignitions with absolutely no delay and no issues with mis-fires in wet weather. Instead of Pyrodex Powder, I use 50gr Pyrodex Pellets (2 pellets or 100 gr) behind a Sabot and .44 Cal Nosler 250 gr. JHP bullet. This load is zeroed at 150 yds and even with my eyes, from a good rest and the 4x scope, I have on many occasions actually shot 3 round groups with 2 holes touching. If you need to go out to 200-250 yds, just drop in another 50 gr pellet. Never hunted with that load but did shoot some paper with it. That extra pellet REALLY increases recoil and is not very enjoyable after 2 or 3 shots. Haven't got to go hunting in several years now so contemplating getting out of muzzle loading all together. If I decide to keep and maybe go to OK again, I probably switch to the new White Hot Pyrodex Pellets. Anyone else out there ever shoot muzzle loaders??
"Family Man First....Patriot Always"

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Re: Knight .50 cal DISC
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
I've got an original Springfield musket, circa 1863 or so.....REALLY have been tempted to shoot it, but don't know enough about it to do so safely. 
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Okie556

• Longview, TX
  • On Target +0/-0
  • 198TH LIB
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
I've got an original Springfield musket, circa 1863 or so.....REALLY have been tempted to shoot it, but don't know enough about it to do so safely.

Is that a Flint Lock? If you ever do decide to shoot, would recommend staying with the black powder instead of Pyrodex and as in modern day reloading, start at the bottom of recommended powder charge.

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
Nope - percussion....
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »
Have a Walker that I shot a full cylinder out of to make sure it worked and its been in the safe ever since. And i have had a lot of black powder but got rid of them. One was an 1863 Tower Enfield and had a few scatter guns including a SxS 8Ga. and a SxS 11ga (that one was worth a pretty penny, found that out after i sold it).

Okie556

• Longview, TX
  • On Target +0/-0
  • 198TH LIB
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »
Have a Walker that I shot a full cylinder out of to make sure it worked and its been in the safe ever since. And i have had a lot of black powder but got rid of them. One was an 1863 Tower Enfield and had a few scatter guns including a SxS 8Ga. and a SxS 11ga (that one was worth a pretty penny, found that out after i sold it).

Never heard of a 11ga........guess that's why it was worth a lot.

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

It was used in England in the late 1800s as a fowling gun, they called it an 11 bore but it was never really popular.

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »

That and because of who made it. I forget who it is now it has been a few years.