Author Topic: So.....what's you're oldest?  (Read 5628 times)

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
So.....what's you're oldest?
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Sitting here, and it dawned on me....I've got several of 'em - at least one over a hundred years old, a Savage model 99 w/full octagonal barrel, mfg circa 1908, IIRC. 
Another is an old 35-cal lever action circa 1918 - one of the best hog guns I've ever run across - the little extra "oomph" from that larger cartridge over the 30-30 is impressive when you nail a hog w/it!
And, of course, a venerable Model 94 - more recent manufacture, but it was a gift from a friend for fixing one that had belonged to his grandfather.
Several Henry .22 lever-action - LOVE those Yellow Boys!
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Wolfwood

• COMAL COUNTY TX
  • Rather Clever
  • Administrator
  • On Target +9/-2
Re: So.....what's you're oldest?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:11:27 AM »
****deleted****

I don't have a lever action!

woops!

SinisterNerd

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +15/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
Dad's gotta an old 22 rifle that has a thumb trigger.  I don't remember the brand or anything.  But it's an interesting little rifle.  I'll post pics the next time I'm over there.  It's basically a 100 year old zip gun.  It's a single shot bolt action. You pull the spring loaded bolt back.  And you release it with a thumb lever on top of the stock.  I doubt it's rare, and it only dates back to the early 1900's but it's a great kids gun.

SinisterNerd

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +15/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
**** Woops ****

I also didn't realize this was in the lever action section.

Gotta limited edition Winchester model 94, but it's not that old.  1970?? maybe.  And to be honest the dang thing has a pretty crappy action.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:29:52 AM by SinisterNerd »

Winchester

• Fort Worth
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
None are very old but they are all special to me.
I own the following:

Model 94 Buffalo Bill commemorative rifle 30-30. Grandad gave it to me for my 16th birthday, had never even had a shell chambered. Love that gun, ya couldn't stack money deep enough to buy it.

Model 94-22WMR Again from my grandad. Great little gun.

Model 94-357AE bought this one new the year before they crashed and burned.

Marlin Guide 45-70. One of these days I am going to load up some "real" cartridges for this thing and have some fun.

I will post some pictures tonight.
Quote from: Thomas Jefferson
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance?"
Too late to fix it, too early to start shooting.

Winchester

• Fort Worth
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance?"

Winchester

• Fort Worth
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »

Winchester

• Fort Worth
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »

Winchester

• Fort Worth
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »

TexasRedneck

• New Braunfels
  • Administrator
  • On Target +52/-1
  • Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
ya'll are gonna make me bust out my camera, ain't ya? 8)
South Central Regional Director
Texas State Rifle Association

TrapperL

• Texas
  • On Target +8/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
My oldest is an 1898 Winchester Model 94 that was my dads uncles rifle. It's a 30-30. crescent butt, full mag, round barrel rifle. If it wasn't for the rebarrel by Winchester back in the 60's, it would be a real clean rifle. But that's when I got it as a kid and wanted it to shoot. The original barrel I doubt a bullet would have gone down the barrel it was pitted so bad.

mopar_man

• Texas
  • Global Moderator
  • On Target +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:36:28 PM »
1976 marlin 30-30 given to me by my uncle. He bought it new for 150 bucks from kmart.

Retarmysgt

• Texas
  • On Target +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »
A 1949 mfg Winchester 94 in .30-30. I got it from an old Army Inf Officer that had his wife send it to him in Korea because he didnt like the M1 Carbine he was issued.

pistolpadre

• United States
  • On Target +8/-0
  • huh..
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »
Love old iron..

my oldest.. and it's going to be hard to find a cartridge firearm any older (sorry if that sounds "prideful") is a Colt pocket flat latch.. it''s a pre pocket positive, and they were first issued in 1905.. so it has to have a mfg date before 1904.. the pistol was first introduced by Colt in 1895, so it "could" be a 19th century, meaning 18 hundred and something, as it was made for five years before and five after 1900 mark..

Beautiful little pistol i piciked up cheap for the wife to carry, not worth much as the previous owner had it re blued, a really perfect job that my wife has no idea, or minds that it isn't original, so all's great.. chambered in 32 Colt.. this is not to be confused with 32 S&W which is a pretty good round, the 32 colt was a flop..  anyway neat old revolver that still has to be loaded with an empty chamber under the hammer.. that was the whole point of the "positive" in the pocket positive name.. Perfect hard rubber grips, and looks brand new..

Parkerized Victory Smith that's prewar.. thinking it's a 1936  or 37..  Rem/Rand 1911 thats mid fourtys mfg.. and my old Webley that's  also pre war and i believe made in the twenties so going on 100 years old..
huh?

outdare

• Houston
  • On Target +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »
I have a 1952 Marlin 30-30 that is in great shape. It has become my favorite gun.