Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Friday Guns
« Last post by SC-Texas on October 17, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
Deer Season 2017

Deer Season 2017. Opening day. First deer.  Late drop fawn and mother.

Can you see me now? Trash Panda.  I'll have the suppressed .22 this evening.

Shadow of th e hunter.

Deer Season 2017 Opening Day. Waiting in deer blind.  Using the  suppressed POF P-308 & Vortex Razor HD 5-20 w/ a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.
#wildriverranch

Gas

Enjoying a Romeo and Julieta Reserve before the evening hunt.  Surefire 2211 for lighting the night and telling time.

Traveling light

My oldest preparing and helping cook the Deer heart

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

« Last post by SC-Texas on October 17, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
Deer Season 2017 has opened on Wild River Ranch.    Two management bucks and a small midnight pig were the weekend tally.

Opening Day. Zero confirmation. The moment of the shot. You can see the gas escaping from both the suppressor and the ejection port.

The POF P-308, w/ Vortex Razor HD 5-20, Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Zero confirmation with the POF P-308 and a Romeo and Julieta cigar

The POF P-308, w/ Vortex Razor HD 5-20, Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Sighting the Snipe IR in on the .22 at 50 yards as a dedicated weapon sight.   Used the kopfjager-industries Reaper Grip to secure the rifle.

The IR Hunter snipe-ir is from @third_coast_thermal.

Deer Season 2017 Opening Day. First buck down.  Wild River Ranch formerly MLD3 now conservation option cooperator. Using the  suppressed POF P-308 & Vortex Razor HD 5-20 w/ a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.
#wildriverranch

#diepiggydie 110yd midnight spine shot.  POF P-308, IR Hunter Mk II 20mm, Dead Air key-mo mount.
@third_coast_thermal provided the IR Hunter.

Deer Season 2017 Day 2. Second Management  buck down.  He was walking into the treeline at 110 yards and turned as I shot.  He never stopped moving before heading for the treeline.  Exit wound is shown.  Not an optimal angle.  Entry was in the proper spot on the neck.  Wild River Ranch formerly MLD3 now conservation option cooperator. Using the  suppressed POF P-308 & Vortex Razor HD 5-20 w/ a surefire SOCOM762RC & a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.

Zero confirmation Remington 700 6.8 w/ a Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor.

Semi-Auto Rifles / Re: Happy birthday to me
« Last post by TexasRedneck on October 16, 2017, 12:18:32 AM »
Nice!

I need to post up pics of my 300 BO two-stamper.

Oh - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ya old coot!!!

O:h
Semi-Auto Rifles / Happy birthday to me
« Last post by mopar_man on October 13, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

In honor of my 30th.
« Last post by SC-Texas on October 10, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
Friday at the Range.   After staying out till 2 in the morning shooting Hogs last night today is Friday Ranch trip was just a fun planking session with 22s

Friday Watches at the Range:  A Citizen Skeleton from the early 70s some great .22 Subsonic ammo.

Friday Watches at the Range:  A Citizen Skeleton from the early 70s some great .22 Subsonic ammo and a great Nat Sherman cigar. 

Friday at the Range:  Shooting the Savage MkII w/ Dead Air Mask HD.

Friday at the Range:  Shooting the Savage MkII w/ AAC Element.

Friday Guns:  Shooting the Fortner action Anschutz model 1727F - 22 AV.  AV stands for "American Varminter", i. e. 18" threaded barrel.  GemTech Subsonic. 22 through a SWR Spectre.

Friday Guns.  Shooting the Browning Challenger w/ red dot at 50 yards.   Rolex Sea Dweller for added style.

Friday Guns.  Shooting the Browning Challenger w/ red dot at 50 yards.   A Citizen Skeleton from the early 70s for added style.  some great .22 Subsonic ammo and a great Nat Sherman cigar.

Citizen week continues.  The Citizen Skeleton 8060A from the early 70s!

« Last post by SC-Texas on October 08, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »
Thursday night pig hunt!  Two recovered.  Two more ran off with holes in them. 

#diepiggydie. No hogs yet  checking the treeline with the Pulsar APEX from @third_coast_thermal.  This is on a 10.5" 5.56 SBR and a YHM QD Phantom.
#thepewpewlife #blackgunsmatter #evilblackrifle #guns #weapon #weapons #weaponsdaily #rifles #suppressor #makeamericagreatagain #weaponsfanatics #texasguntrust #texasnfatrust #guntrust #nfatrust
#deadairsilencers #thirdcoastthermal
#third_coast_thermal
 #pulsarapex #pulsarnightvision

#diepiggydie On watch. Locked and loaded. Essential gear.  Surefire 2211 wristlight/watch, A good cigar and a Hodge Defense AU mod 1, IR Hunter Snipe IR and a Socom556sb in a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.

#diepiggydie First hog using the Snipe IR. This was a Team Kill. I shot the hog with a 62gr fusion and a friend also put one in him.
Hodge Defense AU mod 1, IR Hunter Snipe IR and a Socom556sb in a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  Other gear . . .  A M24 recon, Team Wendy exfil w/ a TNVC pvs-14 on a Wilcox mount.

Entrance above and exit belie of a 62gr fusion.  125 + yards on the run with the Snipe IR Clip on.

#diepiggydie second hog using the Snipe IR. 125 + yards on the run with a 62gr fusion.

Hodge Defense AU mod 1, IR Hunter Snipe IR and a Socom556sb in a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  Other gear . . .  A M24 recon, Team Wendy exfil w/ a TNVC pvs-14 on a Wilcox mount.

« Last post by SC-Texas on October 07, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »

Hunting hogs. Invited to some property in Trinity County by friend in a client. Unfortunately, there was no wind and the moon didn't come up until 4 in the morning. The Hogs did not move. In fact nothing was moving for 5 hours

Two Hodge Defense AU Mod 1s with Surefire socom556 cans & Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover. 

The thermal is an IR Defense Snipe IR clip on from @third_coast_thermal.

The colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre will be installed for tonight's fun and games.

#diepiggydie  Hodge Defense AU mod 1, IR Hunter Snipe IR, Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover on the Socom556sb.  Team Wendy exfil w/ a TNVC pvs-14 on a Wilcox mount.
The IR snipe-ir is a loner from @third_coast_thermal

This is the snipe IR in front of the Leupold day optic. Once you get used to the position it's not hard to Upright the snipe IR. The one caveat to that is it's been hard for me to reach forward while looking through the day optic to see where I am out of the menu without the rifle mounted on a shooting sticks or some other object.

The camel backpack on the ground with the team Wendy exfil helmet and the tmvc pvs-14 and Wilcox mount. The Deep Woods Off was equally Mission essential as batteries. The mosquitoes were out in force.

Waiting on the hogs in thermal.

This photo shows the DVR setup that allows recording from the snipe IR

Hog hunting with no hogs.   I am running the IR defense snipe IR clip on thermal weapon sight in front of a Leupold mark 8 1 to 8 cqbss.

#diepiggydie. No hogs for me in Trinity County, but my friend in Montgomery county used his day old,  new Pulsar APEX from @third_coast_thermal to take This hog.   This is on a 10.5" 5.56 SBR and a YHM QD Phantom.   Neck shot. Ran 20 yds and stopped. Used  hornady soft point. Sounded like someone hit a mattress with a cain pole each it time

Fisher fire 2011, the wristwatch flashlight. This is another piece of gear that I consider to be essential. It's one of those items that when I first got it I kind of scratched my head and wondered how useful it would be. Over the last few years I don't go on a hunt without it

Hello I've had the snipe IR for a couple of months, I've not been able to use it in the field until tonight. The image is good. As I've learned to work through the menus and change the settings, I found this to be a very usable clip-on. I am able to get good resolution up to 6 power with the Leupold Mark 8

« Last post by SC-Texas on October 07, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
Friday at the Range.  Sighting in two thermal Weapon sights and a hog hunt with no hogs.
Sighting in for a hog hunt . . .  Hodge Defense 16"" AU Mod 1 16" w/ Surefire socom556rc & Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  The thermal is an IR Defense Snipe IR clip on from @third_coast_thermal. It's in a kopfjager reapergrip on a Slik tripod.

The colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre will be installed for tonight's fun and games.

Managed to hit the bolt on the  steel from @418plates.

Watches at the Range:  Citizen 67-9356  8110a Bullhead Octagon. A Perdomo Habana was the cigar of the day.

Sighting in for a hog hunt . . .  Hodge Defense 16"" AU Mod 1 16" w/ Surefire socom556rc & Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  The thermal is an IR Defense Snipe IR clip on from @third_coast_thermal.  It's in a kopfjager reapergrip on a Slik tripod.

Intros.... / Re: Howdy folks
« Last post by TexasRedneck on September 26, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Hey, Mike!  Welcome!  I'm primarily a deer hunter, do some varmint hungtin and gun collecting, primarily .45's.  Used to do some long range back when I had a place to hunt in Laredo, but nowadays my longest shot is gonna be in the 200 yard range, I'm afraid.
NFA Guns and Discussion / Cleaning the Dead Air Mask HD with the DIP Solution
« Last post by SC-Texas on September 26, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
Rimfire suppressors get dirty. That is a well known fact of life that everyone that shoots 22 long rifle through a suppressor is familiar with.

This particular Dead Air Mask HD has been used for over a year o n multiple host wespins.   There is probably over 5000 rounds through it.  Its been used for demos with my wwwTexasguntrust.com clients, racoon hunting,  my kids almost exclusively shoot the Dead Air Mask HD, whenever a friend wants to shoot, he genrrally gets this suppressor.   

The build-up of lead and carbon is stunning if you have not seen it begore. 

The fact that the suppressor came apart with a few shakes after this many rounds and this much build-up is a testament to the Dead Air Design team of Mike Pappas, Gary Hughes and Todd Magee. 

Once open, the baffles unsnapped and came apart into their individual pieces without any effort.

A couple of the baffles had so much build-up, that the build-up lookef like a damaged baffle. It took me a few seconds to realize that this wasn't a baffle strike that I was looking at, but the lead and carbon buildup that had molded itself into a mirror of the baffle ahead of it.

After a cursory inspection of the build-up on the baffles, It was obvious that the only way to remove the lead build up was with the peracetic acid solution commonly known as the dip. I prepared a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide in a mason jar.

The Dead Air Mask He's front cap opened up easily.   I was able to push the complete baffle stack out by gently shaking the suppressor and lerting it slide out.

The fact that the entire baffle stack literally slid out after this many rounds is a testament to the design Genius of Mike Pappas and the Dead Air Mask HD engineering team.

One interesting fact that I failed to notice until looking at these photographs is the lack of buildup on the outside of the baffle stack. These baffles sealed together very tightly and did not allow leading carbon to build up between the baffle stack and the tube of the silencer.

All the baffles are laid out for this photograph. If you look you can see the build-up of lead and carbon in almost all of the baffles.

The outside of the baffle stack is relatively clean and free of buildup. These baffles seal together very tightly.

I wanted to see how hard the carbon and lead buildup was.  A hammer and punch were the appropriate tools.   I chipped some of the lead off using a the small hammer and a small punch. Definitely not the way to go about cleaning a suppressor that is fouled in this manner. This causes chips of Lead to go everywhere, it is very labor-intensive, has the potential to damage the baffle itself and does not remove enough of the lead condensate to make it worth the time and effort

The blast chamber had a ring of material that had formed at the back of the blast baffle.

This is one of the first baffles that I saw as I disassembled the Mask HD. When I saw it, my first thought was that the baffle was destroyed due to a baffle strike. In fact, when I showed this picture the other people there first responses were how did you break it?   

It is fascinating to me that the lead and carbon would build up in such a way that that lad and carbon are molded into the shape of the cone of the baffle in front of it.

If you look closely, this buildup follows the shape of the rear of the baffle cone ahead of it in the stack.  The amazing thing is the suppressor never got noticeably louder as this build-up occurred.

I soaked the baffles for 16 hours in the peracetic acid solution aka the dip. You can see the amount of lead and carbon that came off of the baffles during this process.

In this photo, you can see the baffles soaking in the peracetic acid solution. This solution is known as the dip on the internet. After soaking, the lead and carbon that is built up on the baffle stack is change from a solid state to a liquid state and the peracetic acid solution becomes a highly toxic solution called lead acetate

The above photo you can see the amount of lead that has been liberated from it's solid state on the baffles and is now floating in the peracetic acid solution

Not all of the lead and carbon is liquefied. As it dissolves, chunks of it fall off of the baffles and are gathered in the bottom of the Mason jar

The baffles look far different than they did 16 hours ago when they were placed in the peracetic acid (tyhe Dip) solution. There is lead and carbon residue left on the baffles.

It is much softer than it was in it's dry and solid-state 16 hours ago.

After removing the baffles from the peracetic acid solution aka the dip, io rnsed then in fresh water, donned gloves and used a small screwdriver to scrape most of the remaining deposits off of the baffles.

I did not take pictures of this part of the process. I did video tape it and you will see this step in the video

This left a slushie Solution on the baffle stack witch was removed by the Ultrasonic Cleaner. You will see this step in the video that I made of this process

After a 16-hour bath of the dip, a rinsing wash,, a run through the ultrasonic cleaner, and manual scraping, three baffles still had some deposits that would not come off.

It was time for another few hours in the dip.

These three baffles were dropped in the peracetic acid solution for another three hours and run through the ultrasonic cleaner again.

The dead air mask was reassembled and is almost as new

3 baffles for 3 hours in the dip solution

These photos of the baffles show the difference that 24 hours, A long soak in the dip and some physical effort make. The mask is as new.

The only downside to using the peracetic acid solution AKA The Dip is the fact that I now have a mason jar full of a highly toxic substance called lead acetate. The disposal requires some special precautions. You cannot just put this in the trash or dump it in the sewer.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10